103d INFANTRY DIVISION WORLD WAR II ASSOCIATION
409th Infantry Regiment
The distinctive unit insignia is a blue shield for Infantry, the State of Arizona flag, original area of the regiment, and bears a copper star. The green Suhuara cactus, commonly found in Arizona, is the shoulder sleeve insignia for the 103d Infantry Division (Cactus), the parent unit of the 409th Infantry Regiment. The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 409th Regiment Infantry, Organized Reserves on August 20, 1925. It was amended to withdraw "Organized Reserves" from the unit designation on July 29, 1959. ON June 25, 1970, the symbolism was amended, the insignia was re-designated with a description updated for the 409th Regiment on June 17, 1999. The motto of the 409th Infantry Regiment is "Steadfast."
For an overview of the 409th Infantry Regimental history click here.
For the World War II Organization Chart for the 409th Infantry Regiment click here.
During combat operations, units were required to submit a report of operations on a monthly basis. These were dubbed "Unit Journals" and have formed an integral part of the unit's history. Units also submitted a Narrative of Operations during their time in combat.
The 409th Infantry Regiment's historical documents were retrieved from the National Archives Records Agency in College Park, Maryland through the efforts of many volunteers, a special thanks to David Gilbert and Zack Sigler. The following are copies of these documents, including the operations of the 409th Infantry Regiment from its initial entry into battle in November 1944 to V-E Day in May 1945.
Unit Journals for November 1944
Unit Journals for December 1944
Unit Journals for January 1945
Unit Journals for February 1945
Unit Journals for March 1945
Unit Journals for April 1945
Unit Journals for May 1945 (First Half)
Unit Journal for May 1945 (Second Half)
Dale Center for the Study of War & Society • School of Humanities-History• College of Arts & Sciences
The University of Southern Mississippi • 118 College Drive #5047 • Hattiesburg, MS • 39406
webmaster Dr. Kenneth Swope